The discovery of Lactobacillus bulgaricus – the unique ingredient of the Bulgarian probiotic yogurt
In the early 20th century, the Russian scientist Ilya Mechnikov from the Pasteur Institute in Paris studied the causes of aging. According to his studies the origin of human diseases is a result of the putrefactive microorganisms in the human gastrointestinal tract. His study shows that Bulgaria ranks first in number of centenarians in good health – with 426 people in every million who are older than 100 years, the second place is for Turkey – with 318 centenarians per million inhabitants, the third – Colombia – with 311 and etc.
According to him, the reason for the longevity of the Bulgarians is the consumption of Bulgarian yogurt because of its probiotic effect, which fight and reduces the putrefactive microorganisms in the human organism.
The probiotic bacteria that causes the fermentation and the production of Bulgarian probiotic yogurt – Lactobacillus bulgaricus was discovered by the Bulgarian scientist Dr. Stamen Grigorov in 1905. He studied and described the microflora of Bulgarian yogurt and found that the fermentation is due to the interaction between two bacteria:
– a rod-shaped bacterium of – Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. Bulgaricus/ Lactobacillus bulgaricus
– and a globular-shaped bacterium – Streptococcus thermophilus
Three years later, the Russian scientist Prof. Ilya Mechnikov confirmed the discovery of Dr. Stamen Grigorov.
The probiotic yogurt contains live bacteria with probiotic properties
What is Probiotic?
Probiotics are live microorganisms that have a particular importance for the human health.
They live in the digestive tract of the human body, improve digestion and fight pathogens and the “bad” bacteria. Antibiotic treatment destroys not only disease-causing microorganisms but also the “good” and the necessary for the intestinal balance bacteria.
The impaired balance can be restored and improved by consuming foods and products that contain live probiotic bacteria such as Lactobacillus bulgaricus.
The best probiotic yogurt is the delicious probiotic yogurt
What makes Bulgarian yogurt the best probiotic yoghurt in the world?
In “Probiotic-Yogurts.com” we have described and listed many times the health benefits of eating Bulgarian yogurt – Read more here.
The beneficial properties of Bulgarian probiotic yogurt are numerous – it stimulates the intestinal microflora and the whole immune system, it has anti-tumor, dietary and healing properties and it is even used as a natural cosmetic product.
Bulgarian yogurt is not only the most healthy and probiotic diary product but also has an incomparable delicious mild-sour taste which makes it an ideal addition to any menu, and has a special place in the Bulgarian culinary.
All these facts – historical, scientific and other – allow Bulgarians to claim that Bulgarian yogurt is indeed the best probiotic yoghurt in the world.
If in doubt – just try it!
Why The Bulgarian Yogurt Is The Best Probiotic Yogurt And What Makes It Different From All Other Types Of Yogurt?
The most of the adherents of the healthy lifestyle and the healthy eating have heard about the Bulgarian yogurt but few of them know about its high nutritional value as natural food product with curative, dietary and probiotic properties.
Very few people around the world know why the Bulgarian yogurt is actually called the best probiotic yogurt, what distinguishes it from the other varieties of yogurt and why Bulgaria is called the Homeland of yogurt.
The Bulgarian yogurt – the best probiotic yogurt
The reason that the best probiotic properties of the Bulgarian yogurt are not known as well as they should be is probably due to the fact that it comes from a small European country, also not well known in the world but with a thousand-year history and remarkable nature – Bulgaria.
The Yogurt in Bulgaria is the most consumed diary product. The Bulgarians are proud of it and of the discover of its main ingredient – the unique probiotic bacteria, which exists only in the Bulgarian nature – Lactobacillus bulgaricus.
Lactobacillus bulgaricus – the live bacteria in the best probiotic yogurt
What is Lactobacillus bulgaricus
Lactobacillus bulgaricus is a live probiotic bacterium found in perfectly natural conditions – in green plants, spring water and other ecologically clean places only on the territory of this small country. That’s why this probiotic Lactobacillus strain is named after the country in which it lives – bulgaricus – comes from Bulgaria.
The history of the Bulgarian probiotic yogurt
No precise written evidence has been found about the origin of Bulgarian yogurt, but there are a few evidences that Bulgarian yogurt has been prepared and consumed thousands of years ago by the Thracians – the ancient inhabitants of the Bulgarian lands.
According to a National Geographic publication from 2008, in 2007 Richard Evershed from the Bristol University discovered over 2,200 ceramic vessels of 9000 years during archaeological excavations around the Black Sea on the border of the present-day Bulgaria. In the vessels are found residues of lactic acid products.
It is believed that the Thracians discovered this kind of probiotic yogurt that nowadays we call Bulgarian yogurt. According to this theory they have found that a more durable product (yogurt) is produced by adding fermented milk to fresh milk.
In his works one of the founders of modern immunology – the famous Russian scientist Ilya Mechnikov, finds a connection between the longevity of the Bulgarian people and the consumption of original Bulgarian yogurt. He strongly emphasizes that Lactobacillus bulgaricus, bacteria occurring naturally in Bulgaria, is the only bacterium that never does any harm to the human body. Thanks to Lactobacillus bulgaricus Bulgarian yogurt is a natural probiotic with major beneficial impact on people health and longevity.
Some of the health benefits of Bulgarian yogurt:
– Bulgarian yogurt makes the intestinal microflora unfavorable of developing pathogenic microorganisms. Scientists are convinced that the consumption of Bulgarian yogurt stimulate the synthesis of mucins, which increases the physical barrier of the intestines against pathogens.
– Bulgarian yogurt stimulates the immune system not only in the intestinal microflora, but the whole organism. The natural probiotic increases the amount of cytokines, lymphocytes and natural killer cells as well as the synthesis of gamma interferon, which blocks the propagation of viruses.
– Extremely important feature of the Bulgarian yogurt is that the lactic acid fermentation in it synthesizes compounds with antitumor activity. French scientific surveys showed that people who consumed Bulgarian yogurt daily reduced the risk of getting colon cancer.
– Bulgarian yogurt is an essential source of biologically absorbable calcium to the body. World statistics show that it delivers 75% of daily needs.
– Regular consumption of Bulgarian yogurt in your daily diet leads to reduced risk of osteoporosis, especially in individuals who are unable to digest the lactose in milk. Calcium in Bulgarian yogurt plays an essential role in protecting the body from intestinal diseases.
– Bulgarian yogurt contains large amounts of live and active bacterial cells of Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, and due to the degradation of about 30% of the lactose during the fermentation the digestion of lactose improves. Conducted numerous scientific experiments indicate that Bulgarian yogurt is far more effective tool against bad digestion of lactose than milk fermented with Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus acidophilus. Scientists claim that there is a close relationship between dietary biologically absorbable calcium and blood pressure. Therefore, Bulgarian yogurt is especially useful for people with high blood pressure and lactose intolerance.
– In addition to valuable health benefits, Bulgarian yogurt is a product with high nutritional value. Lactic acid improves motility of the duodenum, small intestine and colon. Bulgarian yogurt is more easily digestible than milk and contains elevated levels of free amino acids.
Scientists are certain – Bulgarian yogurt is irreplaceable product and biologically effective way of strengthening human health and longevity.
There are different varieties of yogurt available in the market and the most of them contain many artificial ingredients and additives. If you prefer to use authentic and organic Bulgarian yogurt, the best way to get it is to prepare it by yourself at home using natural Bulgarian yogurt culture. The original Bulgarian yogurt is produced from live bacteria – Lactobacillus bulgaricus in the combination with Streptococcus thermophilus.
However, if you do not like to eat it, there are many ways to take advantage of Bulgarian yogurt qualities as beauty care. Read more here
Which are the best probiotic and health effects of consuming Bulgarian Yogurt?
The regular consumption of Bulgarian yogurt protects and improves the human health in many ways. It has probiotic effect and it is 100% natural and organic product from the Bulgarian nature. Many scientists studied and confirmed the beneficial health effects of Bulgarian yogurt.
According to the studies of the Russian scientist Ilya Mechnikov, the reason for the longevity of the Bulgarians is the consumption of yogurt.
Bulgarian yogurt is a result of milk fermentation caused of the symbiotic activity of two bacterial species – Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermoplilus. The strains of Lactobacillus bulgaricus are found naturally living only in Bulgaria, such as the strain Lactobacillus bulgaricus GLB44 which is extracted from the leaves of a snowdrop flower (Galanthus nivalis) in Bulgaria.
These are “friendly” and “good” bacteria which are essential for maintaining good health and that fight against the “bad” ones in our organisms.
Eating Bulgarian yogurt every day has numerous probiotic and health effects. Consuming it effectively prevents antibiotic-associated effects, because of the beneficial bacterial strains.
Bulgarian yogurt is a superfood, natural probiotic and a delicious addition in your daily diet and healthy lifestyle
- Bulgarian yogurt is natural, healthy and delicious food without any genetically modified ingredients;
- It regulates your digestive system and prevents bloating;
- Helps maintain the natural balance of intestinal flora;
- Provides the body with essential minerals and elements;
- Bulgarian yogurt is a natural source of calcium;
- Yogurt consumption significantly reduces cholesterol levels;
- Bulgarian yogurt has immune stimulating effect;
- It is an effective remedy for diarrhea, constipation and gastrointestinal diseases;
- Proteins of animal origin such as milk proteins are the most beneficial because they include all essential amino acids that the body can not produce itself.
- Replace one of your meals with yogurt and you will lose weight.
The discovery of Lactobacillus bulgaricus - the unique ingredient of the Bulgarian probiotic yogurt In the early 20th century, the Russian scientist Ilya Mechnikov from the Pasteur Institute in Paris studied the causes of aging. According to his studies the origin of...read more
Why The Bulgarian Yogurt Is The Best Probiotic Yogurt And What Makes It Different From All Other Types Of Yogurt? The most of the adherents of the healthy lifestyle and the healthy eating have heard about the Bulgarian yogurt but few of them know about its high...read more
In his works one of the founders of modern immunology - the famous Russian scientist Ilya Mechnikov, finds a connection between the longevity of the Bulgarian people and the consumption of original Bulgarian yogurt. He strongly emphasizes that Lactobacillus...read more